Wondering if you should be concerned about your child’s speech or language skills? Check out the Warning Signs of Language Delay and How Does Your Child Hear & Talk?
We can evaluate and treat for the following conditions:
- Delayed expressive language (not talking, limited use of words, not putting words together to form sentences)
- Delayed comprehension issues (i.e. difficulty understanding words, specific concepts, following directions)
- Delay in articulation (pronunciation of specific sounds/letters)
- Speech/language delays secondary to hearing loss including children who utilize hearing aids or cochlear implants
- Autism spectrum and/or social language difficulties
- Apraxia of speech
- Fluency disorders (stuttering)
- Non-speaking/use of speech generating device(s) or alternative communication methods
What Happens at a Speech/Language Evaluation?
Prior to the appointment you will speak with the evaluating clinician to establish an assessment plan based on your concerns.
The day of evaluation process typically includes:
- a 1-2 hour in-person visit in your home or teletherapy visit (off-island) by licensed SLP
- an in-depth case history review to acquire crucial developmental/medical information
- observation and/or formal assessment in the areas of your concern, these may include (dependent on age, ability, and participation):
- speech sound production (articulation skills)
- comprehension (receptive skills) and use of language (expressive skills)
- sound of their voice and resonance
- speech fluency
- social/conversational skills
- play and interaction skills
- exam of oral structures and functioning (child permitting)
- trial of strategies/opportunity for parent practice of strategies
- review of results and recommendations
- written assessment summary provided on the day of
A formal report will be written up and sent to your child’s referring physician. Your child’s report can then be accessed via the patient portal.
- How to Choose an SLP
- Typical Speech & Language Development
- Speech Sound Development
- 16 Gestures by 16 Months
- The Hanen Centre
- Autism Fact Sheet
- Apraxia Kids
- Learning Two Languages
- The Stuttering Foundation
Ready to get started?
Contact us at (808) 384.8328
Providing in-person services in Honolulu, HI and surrounding areas and teletherapy services for neighboring islands